Monday, August 25, 2008

Elemental YouTube

Bored during prep? Nothing left to do?

Go to YouTube. There is an excellent channel titled The Periodic Table of Videos. Each element on the periodic table has its own video.

While we may throw some lithium, sodium and even potassium around in class (safely of course), there is no chance you'll ever see some pure metallic Cesium. (I tried. Nobody will sell it to a high school that I found, assuming I could get the science department to pay for it and safely contain it.) But you can see it here:



If you're caught watching by the dutymaster, tell'em I assigned it as homework. I'll back you up. My favourites so far: Sodium (decent explosions), Xenon (because of the Canadian connection), and Uranium. They'll be updating the Cesium one soon ... I really hope they throw some in water!

Cheers,

Ron Neufeld
Canada's Best Boarding School

No comments: